This program is closed for 2020. stay tuned for further updates from the Government of Canada in 2021
IRCC has recently announced that they will be reopening the parent and grandparent sponsorship program for applications.
If you are over the age of 18, and are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or status Indian, you are eligible to sponsor your parents or grandparents from abroad.
You must also:
- Meet the financial requirements for sponsorship: this includes submitting proof of income over the last three years, to show that you (and your partner, if applicable) meet the Minimum Necessary Income for parental sponsorship applications.
- Note: this year, given the impact of the pandemic, the government has waived certain amounts of the MNI requirement for a sponsor’s 2020 income.
- Sign an undertaking and sponsorship agreement, which outlines the sponsor’s responsibility for 20 years after applicant becomes a permanent resident.
There are five steps in the application process:
- Submit the online form between October 13 and November 3, 2020
- IRCC will conduct a lottery to select 10,000 applications to process
- The selected 10,000 individuals will be contacted by email
- The selected applicants will have 60 days to complete their application. The application must be received by IRCC within that 60 day period.
- Your application will be processed by IRCC within 20-24 months of submission.
You must be living in Canada to sponsor your parent or grandparent to come here. The notice of interest can be submitted online.
- You miss your parents
- You miss your grandparents’ cooking
- You need help with childcare needs
- You are working from home and would love an extra set of hands
- You want to expand your family bubble
- Your parents are having a hard time without you overseas
- Why not?
We can help with the Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship Program
If you have any questions about this new program, sponsorship opportunities, eligibility requirements, or obligations, or need assistance in completing any of the steps required in the process please contact us to set up a special, discounted consultation.
If you wish to sponsor your parent or grandparent, fill out the Interest To Sponsor Form on the Canada Immigration and citizenship website.
Adam Hummel is an experienced immigration lawyer Toronto at Hummingbird Lawyers LLP and our team is ready to help you with your immigration needs.