Civil Litigation Lawyer Toronto 2
Civil Litigation Lawyer Toronto 2

Civil Litigation Lawyer Toronto

Full Suite Civil Litigation Services

Hummingbird Lawyers LLP provides our clients with a full range of experience, skill and expertise in civil and commercial litigation matters.  Our legal team understands our clients’ best interests and we ensure that they receive the representation they need.

We are proud to represent a diverse group of clients, across every industry and sector, including publicly traded corporations, private family run businesses, and even on the individual level.  Our team can skillfully and strategically represent our clients’ best interests in even the most complex litigation matters.

Hummingbird Lawyers civil litigation team handles a wide range of litigation matters including but not limited to the following:

When you work with Hummingbird’s civil litigation team, you’re getting the ABC’s of civil litigation; ACCOMPLISHED, BOLD and COMMITTED.


Our civil litigation team is accomplished through our years of experience, skill and high level of expertise. Hummingbird’s civil litigation team has experience in conducting both jury and non-jury trials. Our civil litigation team has been successful in actions and applications in Ontario’s Superior Court of Justice as well as appeals at the Ontario Court of Appeal.  We have also successfully represented clients in arbitrations and tribunal hearings. No matter what level of court or type of litigation, you are in good hands with Hummingbird’s civil litigation team.


At Hummingbird Lawyers LLP, we understand that litigation ought to be a last resort rather than a first step. While our team works diligently to settle matters using alternative forms of dispute resolution and skillful negotiation, we recognize that sometimes litigation is the only way to resolve a contentious matter.

Our civil litigation team works tirelessly to develop a strong legal strategy to argue each case and we fight fearlessly and tenaciously for our clients every step of the way. Our team comes armed with strategic litigation techniques in order to obtain the best possible outcome for our clients.


We are committed to working alongside our clients and understanding their wants and needs within the particular dispute.   We are committed to ensuring our clients receive the best possible representation we can provide.  As your legal team, we are committed to advancing your claim or defense in the most effective way possible. Our team will be by your side to help navigate this challenging and stressful path every step of the way.

Our Litigation Services

Hummingbird Lawyers civil litigation team handles a wide range of real property, business/commercial litigation matters including but not limited to the following:

Our first priority is to provide you with a strategic, efficient and cost-effective resolution to the matter at hand.  Hummingbird Lawyers LLP’s civil litigation team is by your side throughout the entire process.

If you are considering bringing a matter before the courts and looking for a civil litigation lawyer, please contact us for more information on our litigation services or complete the form below and someone will get back to you.

Civil Litigation Services

Litigation Frequently Asked Questions

If you win, will you be able to collect from the person/business?

Even if you “win” (obtain a judgment in your favour), you may have to enforce the judgment. In order for you to collect, the person/business must have one of the following:
money assets that can be seized and sold, or a debt owed to them by someone else (e.g. bank account, employment income) that can be garnished.

Does the person/business owe others money?

There may be other creditors who are already waiting to collect their judgments against the person/business. You may be able to find out by contacting your local credit bureau, enforcement office, land registry office, and/or court offices (a fee may be payable).
Even if the person/business does not have money now, you may be able to collect your judgment in the future.

Do you know the legal name of the person or business you wish to sue and their current residential or business address?

You will need correct information about who you are suing to properly prepare and serve your claim and to enforce a judgment if you are successful.
For information about how to search a corporation or registered business name, contact us.

Which is the right court to start your claim?

If the amount of your claim is worth more than $25,000, you can choose to use Small Claims Court because it is simpler and less expensive. However, if you choose Small Claims Court you cannot claim more than $25,000. You will have to give up any amount over $25,000 and cannot start a claim at a later date for the amount in excess of the $25,000.
Superior Court of Justice
If you are proceeding with a claim for more than $25,000, you must start your claim in the Superior Court of Justice.
The Superior Court of Justice deals with almost all types of civil cases except:
Cases where a law says that the matter must go to a special government agency or tribunal. These include residential tenancy complaints, workers’ compensation matters and labour relations.
Cases where the Federal Court has control. These include federal tax matters, immigration matters, and patents and trademarks.

Which court location will issue your claim?

Unless a statute or rule directs otherwise, you may commence your proceeding at any court office in Ontario. Note that a defendant may ask the court to have the case transferred to a different court location.

Do you have enough evidence to support your claim?

You will have to prove your case. Consider what witnesses and/or documents you have to support you. If you do not have supporting documents (e.g. you entered into a verbal agreement) or witnesses, your claim may still be successful. However, if it is just your word against the other person’s, it may be more difficult to prove your case.

Do you have a record of any payments, such as returned cheques or a clear recollection of what happened and when?

You will be required to include in your statement of claim a short, clear summary of the events that took place and the reasons you think you are entitled to judgment against the defendant.
Remember, the other party is able to respond to your claim and may give evidence that will affect the judge’s view of your entitlement.

How long ago did the incident take place?

There may be a time limit on how long you can wait before starting a lawsuit, which is set out in the Limitations Act. If you are uncertain about what limitation period applies to your case, give us a call and we can help.

What are the legal fees?

Above and beyond legal fees, you will be required to pay for various services called ‘disbursements’. These include courier fees, document fees, and court fees amongst others. The cost of a lawsuit will vary from case to case, which is why we recommend you come in for a consultation with a civil litigation lawyer to get a better sense of costs.

Related Articles

Commercial Real Estate Lawyers

Contact Us

Hummingbird Lawyers LLP has two offices for your convenience. Providing qualified, skilled and experienced lawyers in Toronto and lawyers in Vaughan, we are committed to giving our clients the convenience, expertise and guidance they need.

Fill out the form and a civil litigation lawyer in Toronto or Vaughan office will reach you for further assistance. Alternately, you can call us at 905-731-1911.

    Would you like to subscribe to our newsletter?*






    Hummingbird Lawyers strategically assists businesses and individuals in the areas of business and corporate law, commercial and residential real estate transactions, wills and estates, employment law, family and divorce, litigation, and immigration.

    0 replies on “CIVIL LITIGATION”